RE: Moving a 250gig database from SUN to HPUX

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 16:50:52 -0500

>HP-UX (PA) to Sun (Sparc) migration can be as simple as copying the
datafiles and recreating the controlfiles at >the target location. But
this is un-supported.

I've heard this, too.

The real question, then, is what is meant by "unsupported"?

I'd hate to be 3 weeks after the migration and find out there are
corrupt blocks in my SUN database!

Perhaps running old fashioned dbv's against each database file after the
database comes up (which takes minutes) might then be your safest bet?

I personally would not recommend this as a migration method, but if you
do decide to try it, please let us know how it works out?