Re: More than 2 ASM Diskgroups in a RAC Enviornment with 2 Databases

  • From: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ade.turner@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 20:16:17 -0800

With the mindset that ASM is a volume manager, there is no inherent performance advantage (or disadvantage) to having more than one diskgroup. For example (and please, no criticism of the benchmark...) Oracle has a TPC-H 10TB scale factor benchmark with ASM and one single ASM diskgroup was used. See the FDR here:

http://tpc.org/tpch/results/tpch_result_detail.asp?id=106120401

I personally have used a single ASM diskgroup of 444 x 256GB physical spindles spanning 37 arrays in an 8 node RAC cluster. Flash recovery was not needed in this case.

The important thing to keep in mind is how the LUNs are carved up from the storage and how the ASM diskgroups are implemented. Be mindful if the same physical spindles participate in more than one diskgroup, a busy diskgroup can negatively impact other diskgroups who share those same spindles. You may want to choose separate "groups" of disks for the diskgroups so that they are isolated from each other. This may assist you later in troubleshooting disk related performance issues.

Regards,

Greg Rahn
http://structureddata.org