Re: Looking for recommendations on ASM

  • From: Svetoslav Gyurov <softice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 11:09:56 +0200

Hi Daniel,

We've been always running ASM with external redundancy and that's why
we have only one OCR and voting disks, so far with no problems. What
we implement recently is storage tiering just for example we had three
type of disks on the storage - SSD, SAS or FC, SATA or FATA.
Respectively created three ASM disks groups - one small disk group
with SSD for temp/index or whatever you like, one SAS diskgroup for
datafiles and one SATA for fast recovery area, archivelogs, backups
and all non important/archive tablespaces. With this tearing we
achieve better storage resource allocation.

There are other technologies like MetaLUNs from EMC where you define
one LUN consisting of space from different disk types (SSD, SAS,
SATA), but at storage level and it takes care to move around hot
objects between tiers.

Regards,
Sve