Looking for recommendations on ASM

  • From: "Hubler, Daniel" <daniel.hubler@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:57:44 +0000

AIX 6.1
Oracle 11.2.0.3
Have been running RAC on 10g (with 3rd party software) for years.
Now putting together our first 11g RAC with ASM.

Confused about (best?) practices for ASM, diskgroups, voting disks, OCR,
controlfiles. . . . .

We plan to use ASM with external redundancy.
Up until now, we thought we could get by with a single diskgroup.

It appears that multiple voting disks are not allowed with external redundancy.
Simple enough. . . .

But if we want to multiplex the OCR,
it appears that we must create another disk group.

Again, simple enough.
But it kind of implies that I would have a large disk group for my datafiles,
and a 2nd, small, diskgroup for the OCR. . . . and nothing else.

Is this common practice?
It just seems odd to me.

Thanks.