RE: Long Parse Time

  • From: "Tanel Poder" <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 21:47:29 +0300

Hi Ric,

As you're on Solaris 10, you can use my DStackProf (which uses DTrace) to
capture and aggregate a bunch of stack traces of that parsing process
(during parsing of course) and send the couple bottom ones back to the
list...

http://blog.tanelpoder.com/2008/09/02/oracle-hidden-costs-revealed-part2-usi
ng-dtrace-to-find-why-writes-in-system-tablespace-are-slower-than-in-others/

Or if you don't have OS access for some reason then you can use my
OStackProf (which uses oradebug short_stack) to do the same via sqlplus -
but this is experimental and not 100% safe due some issues with oradebug
short_stack.

http://blog.tanelpoder.com/2008/10/31/advanced-oracle-troubleshooting-guide-
part-9-process-stack-profiling-from-sqlplus-using-ostackprof/

This would give us the Oracle kernel modules where most of time is spent and
this would give us the clue where the problem may be happening.

The above would be systematic approach for resolving such issues, if you
can't do it for some reason then another approach would be disabling some
optimizer's features by (undocumented) parameters and seeing which setting
makes the query parse fast. Obviously one thing which probably makes the
parsing fast is adding ORDERED hint, but that will affect your query plan.
Another things to disable and test are query_rewrite_enabled,
_simple_view_merging, _complex_view_merging, _unnest_subquery,
_optimizer_cost_based_transformation etc. These are just some common
troublemakers that come into my mind.

Disclaimer: I mention these only in context of troubleshooting your current
issue - disable a parameter and see if parsing goes faster - if it does,
search metalink by that parameter to see whats the cause. I do not advise
these as any kind of tuning parameters in this case!

--
Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com

  _____