Re: Licensing Oracle SE One on VMWare cluster

  • From: Sebastian Kolski <sebastian.kolski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:12:48 +0200

On 10/20/2011 11:05 PM, Michael Brown wrote:
> Unfortunately, licensing works like this:
>
> 2) Standard Edition no more than 4 sockets within the cluster (one or
> more machines just no more than 4 total sockets) (same OVM and EC2
> comment).

I was always wondering what is the meaning of cluster in that 4 socket
within the cluster limitation. Does the cluster means RAC instance. Or
is it about clusterware.
So can you run RAC SE instance on cluster which has more the 4 sockets
if you limit that instance to nodes with 4 or less sockets in total?
Or if you have big cluster running RAC EE can you run on it RAC SE on
one or two nodes (pined) if total sockets count for those nodes does not
exceed 4.

Cheers,
Sebastian Kolski