RE: Licensing Oracle SE One on VMWare cluster

  • From: Upendra N <nupendra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:58:51 -0400

Hi Marcus,
Oracle licensing on vmware is very gray. Oracle is trying to push everyone
towards Oracle VM for better guidelines.

Talking to VMware consultants, what I found is that there is a feature (maxcpu
in grub.conf) in vmware which will force the VM to limit the vmware
configuration to 2 physical CPUs (or whatever you specify). If you need to
change this, you'd have to bounce the VM. This will force the VM to use only
the CPUs you have listed.

Here is a link with an example:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-limiting-or-restricting-smp-cpu-activation-in-smp-mode.html

Now going to back to the my first line - being gray - this is a way for you to
show Oracle (if you ever get audited) that you are limited by this many CPUs.
Still unsure if Oracle will accept this as an excuse for you to run SE-One on a
4 CPU box..

With a bit of uncertainty and making sure everyone understands and remembers
the implications over a period of time etc. it is probably worth buying a
dedicated hardware with 2 CPUs..

-Upendra