Large sys.aud$

  • From: "Terrian, Thomas J Mr CTR DLA J6DIB" <Tom.Terrian.ctr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 07:32:33 -0500

All, we have a requirement to keep 1 year worth of audit records.  I am
kicking around the idea of hourly moving all of the sys.aud$ records
from each production database to a central database.  That way it would
keep sys.aud$ small for each database.

However, this will have its own set of complications......I would have
to build new dba_audit views on the central database (in order to have a
database name field), what happens when the structure of sys.aud$
changes between database versions, etc.

Has anyone tackled something like this already?

Another option would be to forget about the repository database idea
.....instead hold 1 months worth of data online for each database and
storing the other 11 months offline somewhere (maybe use RMAN for
this?).

Again, any ideas?........

Thanks,
Tom Terrian