RE: Keeping users out

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <david.best@xxxxxxxxx>, <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:37:49 -0500

While this should work, I?m not sure whether I?d want to toggle the users on
and off routinely each weekend. How do you handle maintenance vis-à-vis
running CCMGR and workflow jobs currently?

IF the office is the sort of a shop that plays ball by the rules and doesn?t
have people smart enough hack around it and simultaneously stupid enough to
not realize that they would be screwing up to do so,

then one thing you can do is swap in a page in place of the normal url that
is reached when you go into apps with a friendly message about maintenance
being on right now and the anticipated schedule. If you have a good
relationship with the users you can enhance it by declaring the formal
maintenance window but also stating each week whether you expect to use it
all. As dave mentioned swapping the login files won?t do it anymore, so you
have to swap in/swap back something at the landing zone as opposed to
somewhere in the launching process.

The business issue things Niall raised are also prime considerations to take
up sooner rather than later. Not only do you need to make sure you are not
obstructing some organizational goal, raising the issue in a timely fashion
should make it clear you?re thinking about the whole organization.

mwf

  _____