Re: Is there a repository to pick Perl DBI/DBD::Oracle modules for Solaris 10 & Oracle 10gr2?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:21:57 -0600 (CST)

> Very valid point!
>
> You could also use the perl that comes in $ORACLE_HOME/perl, and funny
> enough I have blogged about how to do this as well :)
>
> http://www.the-playground.de/joomla//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=46
>
> The downside is that you are probably limited to what other modules you
> can compile in...

I wouldn't dare mess with the included modules in the Oracle-installed
versions.  I think it's asking for trouble, but that's just me.

I should have mentioned that I'm currently stuck with Oracle 10.1, so that
only comes with Perl 5.6.  Also, IIRC Perl does not have to be installed
with Oracle Server and if the ORACLE_HOME is patched, I don't believe it's
possible (at least it's not easy) to then add Perl to that home.

Thus, the beauty of adding a new ORACLE_HOME for the "lightweight" (1.5GB)
Agent install.  It has the other benefit of being able to be the same
version across platforms, so Perl programs like my Log Checker can work on
Winders as well as Unix/Linux without translation or modification.

It's all good.  I think we've given the OP some options to consider.  :)

Rich