Re: Is Oracle for Solaris x86 ready for prime time?

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:47:45 -0500

OK. What are their availability requirements? What is the schedule for
planned downtime? What are the losses for unplanned downtime of let's
say 5...15 minutes? 1 hour?
Starting from 10.2.0.2 I can it does gets better indeed but how long
is 10.2.0.2 out?

I saw customers running happily 10.2 and even 10.1 but I saw as well
customer suffering from 10.2 while 9i running rock stable. Not that 9i
has no issues but they are known and it took years to identify them
and educate staff how to handle those issues and limitations. The
biggest problem with 10g I saw so far are the ones hit in critical
situations - it just takes longer to troubleshoot and resolve.

I also think people are swallowing 10g auto-magic features and rely
less on proactive activities, testing and training. Indeed, why bother
if new version of database is managing itself just fine and increased
complexity does nothing else but making the database smarter?

I think now it's a prime time for 10g but it's just now! The demo of a
real life large critical 10g database running in production for half a
year as an achievement confirms that. Anyone interested in the same
running 9i? No. That's easy and they are running rock stable for years
already.

Anyway, that's a bit of deviation from the original topic...

On 11/20/06, John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you are looking at 10gR2 for critical production systems than you
> are amongst pioneers anyway. One can argue that they are running 10g
> in production for a year or more but definitions of criticality vary.

Alex,

FWIW, I saw a live demo of DB Control/ADDM on Oracle's own worldwide Oracle
Apps Single instance that apparently is 4 TB (?). This was at OOW and the
demo was part of a presentation by none other than Ahmed Al-Omari. Oracle
Apps is a pretty complex (in terms of number of objects, users, mid-tier
technology stacks, size, SQL code and the number of intergrations between
the 200+ modules). This may have been on oversized hardware (4 Node RAC, 50+
Apps servers, etc.), but I was quite impressed, actually. I think they have
been live on 11.5.10 with 10gR2 about 6-8 months at least?

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc

Disappointment is always inevitable; Discouragement is invariably optional

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

The Pythian Group