Re: Is ASMLIB required for NetApp's SMO on RHEL 6 when using VMWare?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: JC1706@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:37:49 -0700

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM, CRISLER, JON A <JC1706@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I believe you need oracleasm installed, and I would suggest having it as
> it makes the sysadmin and dba's job easier for disk administration.  One of
> the issues you might run into is persistant names for WWN, disk volume
> etc., and oracleasm helps keep that straight.  It also makes it easier if
> you are adding and removing disks and doing disk migration (like EMC to
> NetApp, or from one NetApp frame to another etc.) without any downtime.

If you are referring to its use with SnapManager I can do nothing but
defer, as I know nothing about that product.

As for oracleasm making disk administration easier, it doesn't have to be
that way.

udev works fine - just create a directory /dev/oracle or somesuch, and when
new disks are added just create
a softlink to the /dev/oracle/some-meaningful-name for partitions meant for
oracle.

Jared