RE: Is ASMLIB required for NetApp's SMO on RHEL 6 when using VMWare?

  • From: "CRISLER, JON A" <JC1706@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "afatkulin@xxxxxxxxx" <afatkulin@xxxxxxxxx>, "dananrg@xxxxxxxxx" <dananrg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:17:16 +0000

I believe you need oracleasm installed, and I would suggest having it as it
makes the sysadmin and dba's job easier for disk administration.  One of the
issues you might run into is persistant names for WWN, disk volume etc., and
oracleasm helps keep that straight.  It also makes it easier if you are adding
and removing disks and doing disk migration (like EMC to NetApp, or from one
NetApp frame to another etc.) without any downtime.

A couple of points:

1) make sure your multipath.conf is set up per NetApps best practices
2) friendly names = YES - not supported on Linux with Snapmanager- you need
friendly names = NO  (at least in a SAN - FC setup which is what I have)
3) use the correct version of the Netapp host utilities
4) Snapmanager on Windows is a pain- I would recommend only using it on Linux
5) The Oracle host needs network connectivity into the NetApp filers management
interface and the Snap Manager server.
6) for Snapmanager make sure to put a reasonable tune on the underlying Oracle
db (the Snapmanager repository)- it can have performance problems if you just
do a standard install and neglect it.
7) you might consider NetApp with Direct NFS which I am told works pretty good
and bypasses the whole ASM thing, but you then lose all the ASM benefits and go
back to the filesystem way of doing things.  Performance seems just as good
though.
8) Make sure you test Snapmanager thoroughly.
9) make sure you test the NetApp controller switchover - giveback - its
sensitive to network configuration and easy to misconfigure.