RE: Instance name different from database name

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <s.cislaghi@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:02:10 -0500

Stefan,

        Instance name ties all of the executables and memory structures
together.
        Database name ties all of the datafiles and control files
together.

        Other than that there is no reason to keep them the same.  MANY
years ago, Oracle 6.0.36, I was reading the manual on SQLNET V1 and came
across a sentence that said one "should pick a SID that is NOT case
sensitive". The reason was that one had to use the following to connect
to a database "<protocol>:<Host>:<sid>".  Well T stood for TCP, Host (in
my env) was called BRAHMS, and the SID was "02" (zero two), reason
numbers are case insensitive, logical???  But the database name was
"ATDDB".  Worked like a charm.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA