Re: Instance name different from database name

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: s.cislaghi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:56:48 +0100

Stefano,

please try to distinguish ORACLE_SID, INSTANCE_NAME, NAME and DB_UNIQUE_NAME.

the ARD Home is $ORACLE_HOME/diag/rdbms/db_unique_name/instance_name

if you run  srvctl config database -d ... -a you will get
Database unique name: xxx
Database name: yyy
Database instances: inst1,inst2

the cluster resource name is also ora.db_unique_name.db

maybe you want to try to setup a small test-DB in your cluster where
DB_NAME differs DB_UNIQUE_NAME. (and instances are per node - so they
must differ also). This will show you all the combinations and their
effects.

hth
 Martin