Re: Install Oracle XE with character set WE8ISO8859P1

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:10:55 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Eriovaldo,

>>  Is there some reason AL32UTF8 won?t work for you?
>>
>> Yes, I am in trouble with this character set . I have a column that has 93
>> characteres and I am getting error when inserting it in a column
>> VARCHAR2(100). I cannot change the application. because it works fine in
>> WE8ISO8859P1

I'm not sure about creating an XE DB with another charset (this is the
free/unsupported version of Oracle), but it sounds like your table was
created with the columns using BYTE length semantics -- have you tried
specifying CHAR semantics on the table create?  e.g. use "VARCHAR2(100
CHAR)" on the column?

You may also want to investigate possibly using "nls_length_semantics =
CHAR" in your init.ora to make this the default setting for the whole DB,
with it's pluses and minuses.

HTH!  GL!

Rich