Re: Inconsistent file IO times on AWR report

  • From: Neil Kodner <nkodner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 07:38:02 -0400

We enabled directIO and set filesystemIO_options to setall last week.  Our
first real test was this morning and our main batch jobs ran slower.  A few
things noticed was that there was more physical IO, and by looking at the
tkprof (and soon 10046), the cardinality numbers on the explain plans for
nearly all statements were much higher.  The same plans were used but the
cardinality numbers on the tkprof were much, much higher.

I feel that this issue relates to optimizer stats and not a direct result of
the parameter change but am not 100% sure.  We haven't changed the way we
analyze our tables in weeks.

Does enabling directIO and changing filesystemIO_options warrant either
changing our stats gather process or re-gathering new system stats?  Since
the change, we've noticed more available physical memory, which is great,
but have seen a handful of bad execution plans ever since the change.