Inconsistent file IO times on AWR report

  • From: Neil Kodner <nkodner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Neil Kodner <nkodner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 08:35:27 -0400

I'm trying to get to the bottom of some performance issues and one of the
things that stumps me is that my AWR reports show wildly inconsistent read
times for my tablespaces.  The heaviest-hit tablespace consistently shows an
average read time of .59ms.  The others range from 13 to 25ms in avg read
time.  I dont find anything obvious when comparing matviews_index and
matviews_data to the rest of the tablespaces when looking in
dba_tablespaces.

Given that all of the tablespaces are on the same hardware device and mount
points, I would expect the average read times to be somewhat similar across
the board.  Is this an invalid assumption?

The tablespace and file details from awr can be found at http://goo.gl/CTaO

I'll update the document with additional information as requested.

Thanks,

Neil