RE: Import and export question

  • From: "Carel-Jan Engel" <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:24:44 +0200 (CEST)

> Is there any chance you could set up replication instead?  I would be
> concerned with using imports and exports because there are a lot more
> "moving parts" than with a replication-based solution.  Your client, for
> example, would need to ensure that they were using the 8.1.7 version of
> the export utility to generate the file.  They would have to script some
> sort of file transfer process.  You would have to script a file transfer
> process.  There would probably be ".lock" files involved so that you
> weren't grabbing a file that they were delivering.  You would then have
> to script an import process.  There are a lot of potential points for
> problems to occur in this scenario.  As one or both of you upgrade your
> systems, there is the potential to break things.

Yes, I support Justin's suggestion that replication might be a better
solution. To prevent you from too many dependencies, you could consider to
put a database in the middle, where both parties replicate to. I've set up
this on an airport between two 24x7 systems. Forwarding to the destination
can be done independent of the sending end. This will give you some sort
of an asynchronous mechanism, that survives the downtime of the
counterpartner. Another advantage is that upgrading/changing one of the
systems can be dealt with on the interface database, again preventing the
systems unfluencing each other too much.

> If you are replicating the data, however, Oracle will take care of most
> of this.
>
> If you were both on 9i, I would suggest transportable tablespaces as a
> possible solution as well.

This will only last as long as you both _stay_ on 9i. As soon as one wants
to upgrade, you're in trouble again. It will get even more troublesome
when you need to exchange information with other clients as well. All
parties need to upgrade at once. This will cause too many dependencies. I
wouldn't go for transportable tablespaces.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
===