RE: Import and export question

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:56:15 -0600

Is there any chance you could set up replication instead?  I would be
concerned with using imports and exports because there are a lot more
"moving parts" than with a replication-based solution.  Your client, for
example, would need to ensure that they were using the 8.1.7 version of
the export utility to generate the file.  They would have to script some
sort of file transfer process.  You would have to script a file transfer
process.  There would probably be ".lock" files involved so that you
weren't grabbing a file that they were delivering.  You would then have
to script an import process.  There are a lot of potential points for
problems to occur in this scenario.  As one or both of you upgrade your
systems, there is the potential to break things.

If you are replicating the data, however, Oracle will take care of most
of this.

If you were both on 9i, I would suggest transportable tablespaces as a
possible solution as well.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC