Implementing Virtual Private Databases

  • From: "Schauss, Peter" <peter.schauss@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:40:41 -0500

(Oracle 10.2.0.2.0)

We are in the process of implementing COTS application in which a single
database will be used by multiple customers.  One of the requirements is
to allow ad hoc reporting on a limited basis to a small number of users.
Users from a given customer should only be allowed to see their own
data.  I have implemented a test case on a one table by doing the
following:

-  Created a secure application context with a package and function to
set the value of a context parameter which will distinguish between
users.

-  Created a logon trigger to set the application context value for the
application users.

-  Created a package/function to append a predicate to the where clause
for queries to the table.

-  Applied the security policy to the table using dbms_rls.add_policy.

Using this approach, it looks like I need to create an AFTER LOGON
trigger for every user to whom we are granting ad hoc access.  Is there
a way to avoid this?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss