Re: IPMP testing on RAC cluster

  • From: Ravi Gaur <ravigaur1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LS Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 07:38:42 -0500

Thanks to all that responded both on the list and privately.

We pretty much did the same as you describe and used the "plug out cable"
method. Besides we also did a snoop on the interfaces to check for traffic
on interfaces. The host IP and VIP failed over smoothly to the redundant
NICs when the cable for the active interface (for public interface) was
pulled out. Ditto with private IP when the active interface cable was pulled
for the private interface.

For the private IP testing, I also monitored the GV$CLUSTER_INTERCONNECTS
view and it showed the interface failing over.
For example, the view that was showing this earlier --

select * from gv$cluster_interconnects;

   INST_ID NAME                      IP_ADDRESS       IS_ SOURCE

---------- ------------------------- ---------------- ---
-------------------------------

         1 bge1                      10.10.10.72      NO  cluster_interconnects
parameter

         2 bge1                      10.10.10.73      NO  cluster_interconnects
parameter

2 rows selected.

got changed to showing this --

select * from gv$cluster_interconnects;

   INST_ID NAME                      IP_ADDRESS       IS_ SOURCE

---------- ------------------------- ---------------- ---

         1 bge3:1                    10.10.10.72      NO  cluster_interconnects
parameter

         2 bge1                      10.10.10.73      NO  cluster_interconnects
parameter

2 rows selected.

The communication was between nic3 and nic1 (via switches) when the cable
for nic1 was plugged out on node1. The output from snoop also showed the
same.

- Ravi