Re: IBM Consulting info

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:16:51 -0300

It is both contractual (usually outsourced DBA are just "physical" dbas not
app dbas). I remember all we could do was give the customer the queries we
took from AWR reports order by elapsed time, executions, buffer gets, etc.
We didn't even read them, we just copypasted them (might as well send the
full awr report).

Another contributing factor is that as a way to further reduce costs, they
keep all the teams understaffed, so you end up having to manage way more
databases than you can and you simply don't have the time to get to know the
applications that run in each database.

So I agree that it's a good idea to keep at least one DBA that knows the
environment on the customer side.

Cheers
Alan.-