Re: How to trace a remote statement

  • From: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 12:43:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Amir,
i don't know VERTEX at all, so i am a little bit confused what kind of
application you wanna trace and how you call it remotely.

In one way your a talking about a packaged application (Oracle Apex??) and then
you are talking about calling a procedure from a package (PL/SQL
package??)? How do you call the remote procedure - through database link?

The following assumes that you are talking about calling a PL/SQL procedure
through a database link.

You can use PL/SQL procedure DBMS_MONITOR.SERV_MOD_ACT_TRACE_ENABLE (on system
B) to enable a dedicated trace based on the service name, module_name
and (or) action_name, if the application is well instrumented. Otherwise you
may want to create a separate database link, that uses a special service
name for tracing. You omit the module_name and (or) action_name on system B and
trace all the stuff for that special service name.

Afterwards you can profile the extended SQL trace with free tools like TVD$XTAT
( http://antognini.ch/top1/downloadable-files/ ) by Christian
Antognini or tools with costs like Method R Profiler (
http://method-r.com/software/profiler ) and drill down, if this is a PL/SQL
coding or SQL
processing issue on system B.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Oracle performance consultant and researcher
http://www.soocs.de