How to install/configure Ultrasearch 10g?

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:17:30 -0600

Hey all,
I have manually installed and configured Ultrasearch under Oracle 9.2.0 on
RHAS3 (using the freely available White Box distro).  The instructions on
MetaLink were almost straightforward and everything works fine.  Everything
except the INSO filter bombing on about half of our Acrobat files.  I've found
that the 10g filter (ORACLE_HOME/ctx/bin/ctxhx) works on the problematic files,
so I thought I should try using Ultrasearch in 10g.  I've been given a Solaris9
box to try it out.

Under 10.1.0, the Apache HTTP server installation is on the Companion CD.
That's fine, but it also requires installation into a new ORACLE_HOME.  OK, I
do that.  But how do I get Apache in the second ORACLE_HOME to find the
Ultrasearch stuff that was installed in the first?  Metalink 286244.1 says to
use the new "searchctl" script.  This was installed into the first ORACLE_HOME.
 However, the script expects J2EE and Perl to be in the same ORACLE_HOME, but
J2EE is installed in the first with the database, Perl the second with Apache.
Basically, I think what I need is to know how to connect Apache to the
Ultrasearch Middle Tier (without using Oracle App Server).

The "Installing and Configuring Ultra Search" 10g manual tells all about
configuring the J2EE stuff, which I'll need, but right now I'm having trouble
finding how I'm properly supposed to tell Apache (again, in ORACLE_HOME #2) how
to access J2EE (again, in ORACLE_HOME #1).  I'm thinking I've done something
horribly wrong in the install, but I'll be durned if I can easily figure out
what I've done.

Anyone?

Rich
rich.jesse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx