Re: How To Run Unix Applications From The Database

  • From: Andy Klock <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: srcdco@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:41:36 -0400

Welcome to my world.  I've done this with C programs.  There's an outdated
primer in MOS:
*How to Call a UNIX Shell Script From PL/SQL Using External Procedures [ID
168065.1]*
*
*
And I've done this with Java stored procedures.  However, the easiest to
implement and control (provided you are trying to run a unix program on the
database server) is through a scheduled job.

All three have security concerns that you'll need to think about.  In 11g,
there's an ability to call remote programs (via a client side agent) but
I've never had to set that up.