Re: "Hot" tables in Schema

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:00:41 +0100

The usual caveat applies with nice friendly v$ --

Don't use them as the basis for regular inspection
until you're sure they've been checked as low-cost

In the case of v$segment_statistics, it is better to
get deltas by checking v$segstat - then join to
other tables for names after you've got the important
numbers out.

Execution plan for select * from v$segment_statistics:

Execution Plan
   0      SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer=CHOOSE
   1    0   FILTER
   2    1     NESTED LOOPS
   3    2       NESTED LOOPS
   4    3         NESTED LOOPS
   5    4           FIXED TABLE (FULL) OF 'X$KSOLSFTS'
   6    4           TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'OBJ$'
   7    6             INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF 'I_OBJ1' (UNIQUE)
   8    3         TABLE ACCESS (CLUSTER) OF 'TS$'
   9    8           INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF 'I_TS#' (NON-UNIQUE)
  10    2       TABLE ACCESS (CLUSTER) OF 'USER$'
  11   10         INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF 'I_USER#' (NON-UNIQUE)
  12    1     TABLE ACCESS (BY INDEX ROWID) OF 'IND$'
  13   12       INDEX (UNIQUE SCAN) OF 'I_IND1' (UNIQUE)

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st