RE: Google has the *right* idea

  • From: "Orr, Steve" <sorr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:22:51 -0600

Hi Jonathan,

I'll ditto your comment having worked for a dotbomb that went bust
trying to make money in this space ("Arzoo"). Despite being well funded
and having an experienced management team they failed the viability
test. The technical implementation was actually quite good (especially
the database ;-) but I was always somewhat skeptical of the business
plan despite the fact that I had a lot of stock options and was trying
to be a good company citizen. I read a lot of glowing reports from
research presented by so-called experts about the future of the P2P
space ("person-to-person" not "peer-to-peer") but it was just a lot of
venture capital hype for the most part. Maybe Google can pull it off and
make a few extra bucks, like they need it. What they're really trying to
do is "monetize" the power of community but I think the best internet
communities (like this list) are free and voluntary. Whether advice is
free or paid for, the most important part is the personal requirement to
evaluate its merit.

Well that's my $0.02 so please send please your payment to gridserf.com
for my DBA beer fund.

Steve Orr
Recovering victim of the Internet Bubble Burst