Fwd: Re: Multiple DBs on One RAC - Adding New Nodes and Different Storage

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 12:46:46 -0700

Vote disk and OCR are likely on the EMC and thus would need to be shared to the new nodes.

On 12/26/2013 12:22 PM, David Barbour wrote:
Merry Christmas (to those of you who celebrate), Happy Holidays (to
those who may not but have something going on - including New Year's),
and Good Afternoon:

We are currently running a 3-node RAC on RHEL 6.3(version
2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.x86_64), Oracle 11.2.0.3.0 on ASM. Storage is
fibre-connected EMC VMAX. Cluster cache communication is handled via
Infiband.  We are adding a new application and two nodes.  The
question arises with the storage.  We're putting the new application
on a Dell Compellent SAN.  Also fibre connected.  The plan is to make
the 2 new nodes the primary nodes for this application, and make node
3 of the current cluster the fail-over.

Can anyone who has used multiple different SANs before provide any
hints/tips/tricks/pitfalls?

Will we have to serve the current EMC Storage to the new nodes?  I
don't see why as we're not expanding the number of instances of the
currently running application.  But we will have to zone the new
storage to connect to the third node of the current cluster.  Any
thoughts on how to install this new application?  I don't really want
instances of it on Nodes 1 & 2 at all.  If I make Node 3 the master
node and install from there, I should be able to pick Nodes 4 & 5 on
which to create the other new instances.

Any thoughts?