Re: Flashback_on disabled automatically

  • From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:10:02 -0800

John,

Many Oracle options can become broken as a result of various types of failures that do not crash the database or have a pre-configured OEM alert. Almost all of these write a message to the alert log. Because Oracle is so complex, we must build appropriate monitoring for our individual environments. I don't think Oracle needs to do anything besides writing this message to the alert log. If this is an issue at your site, then you should build monitoring appropriate to the failure.

An option similar to that available for log_archive_dest_n seems like a good enhancement to address your concern, but proper monitoring of the situation should get you what you want.

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
Blue Gecko, Inc.
http://www.bluegecko.net

On Jan 4, 2010, at 6:06 AM, John Hallas wrote:

If I make the decision, based on business requirements and technical reasons, that I want flashback logging to be enabled for a database then I would expect that to remain the situation. However Oracle can disable flashback and not really inform the user at all. Yes there is a message in the alert log

Errors in file /app/oracle/admin/FLASH10G/bdump/ flash10g_rvwr_22255.trc: ORA-38701: Flashback database log 77 seq 201 thread 1: "+FRA/ flash10g/flashback/log_77.2579.702048581" ORA-17503: ksfdopn:2 Failed to open file +PETRAFRA/flash10g/ flashback/log_77.2579.702048581 ORA-15012: ASM file '+FRA/flash10g/flashback/log_77.2579.702048581' does not exist
Thu Nov 5 15:14:07 2009
RVWR encountered an error when writing flashback database logs.
See error stack in alert log. To avoid crashing the instance,
this instance has turned off flashback database.

However that is very easily to miss and there is no OEM policy to raise an alert.