RE: Flashback_on disabled automatically

  • From: John Hallas <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Martin Brown <martinfbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:56:53 +0000

Martin, whilst those comments are valuable I think they are missing my
fundamental point that a customer choice can be changed by Oracle with no real
warning. I have seen this happen on a production system of ours a couple of
times as well as on performance test databases.

John

www.jhdba.wordpress.com

________________________________
From: John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:06:23 +0000
Subject: Flashback_on disabled automatically
I believe that there is a fundamental flaw in how flashback is managed in a
database.

If I make the decision, based on business requirements and technical reasons,
that I want flashback logging to be enabled for a database then I would expect
that to remain the situation.
However Oracle can disable flashback and not really inform the user at all. Yes
there is a message in the alert log

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The
registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West
Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to
the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely
on the email or its attachments in any way.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for
anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to
accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into
any contractual or other obligations by email.

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are
virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility,
and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.