Re: Failsafe + Active/Passive + Licensing

  • From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:40:25 +0200

See Software Investment Guide
http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/sig.pdf
Excerpt:
Failover – In this type of recovery, nodes are arranged in a cluster and share
one disk array. A Failover cluster is a group of systems, bound together into a
common resource pool. In this type of recovery method, the Production node
acts as the primary node. When the primary node fails, one of the surviving
nodes in the cluster acts as the primary node. Solutions like Oracle Failsafe
(included with Oracle Database EE or SE, SE1), or third party vendor solutions
(e.g. Veritas, HP Service Guard, HACMP, Linux HA - Heartbeat) are used to
manage Failover environments. In this type of environment, Oracle permits
licensed Oracle customers to run some Technology Programs on an
unlicensed spare computer for up to a total of ten separate days in any given
calendar year. Once the primary node is repaired, you must switch back to the
primary node. Once the failover period has exceeded ten days, the failover
node must be licensed. In addition, only one failover node per clustered
environment is at no charge for up to ten separate days even if multiple nodes
are configured as failover. Downtime for maintenance purposes counts
towards the ten separate days limitation.

See link above for full details.

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu