Re: FW: backing up rman catalog for disaster recovery

  • From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rgramolini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:15:20 -0500

Actually, RMAN always writes to the control file before it updates the
catalog. So even if you do an RMAN backup using a catalog, you can
still recover the database using only the controlfile. Now, in
Oracle8i I had problems recovering the control file from the RMAN
backup, so I just cheated and backed up the control file separately
after the RMAN backup completed, and made sure the control file backup
was on the same tape as the RMAN backup. I have performed many
recoveries using this method.

Dennis Williams