RE: Experience with Virus Scan software of database servers

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rlsmith@xxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:47:33 -0400

Ron,

Yeah.  Turn them off.

Easy enough said but impossible to get server managers to do.  I've been
round this road.  Tell them that *nobody* uses the db server to do web
searches or email, that it is buried so deep behind the firewalls that
it can't even be seen from the outside.

The problem is that the folks who "can" touch the box could download a
virus.  And then you are screwed.

Can't win the argument.  Good Luck.

Tom