RE: Experience with Virus Scan software of database servers

  • From: "Kennedy, Jim" <jim_kennedy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rlsmith@xxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:46:42 -0700

Yes, don't.  Often the virus scanners are set to do real time virus
checking.  So they scan the files that change.  Hmmm, that would be
control files, redo, temp tablespaces, rollback or undo, and data and
index files.  We had one client (different employer than now) that had
virus checking onn.  (unknown to us).  Performance was rather poor for
data reads (most of what the application did).  We were able to dial in
and look at the disk queue lengths.  It was like a pulse, every second
it would spike.(disk queue length).  Then we noticed that this machine
had antivirus software on it.  We turned it off and Voila!  the spikes
in disk queue length vanished, performance was fantastic.

It ended up they instisted that anti virus software ran on that machine.
We convinced the customer to not scan the directories where the data
files, ctl files, etc. where.  Things were okay with that.  No disk
queue length problems when we did that.  (the server was dedicated to
the database, so other than the database writing to disk not much else
was.)

Jim