Duplicate function is a lot longer than a backup

  • From: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-db-l" <oracle-db-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:13:14 -0500

Our backups run for a 200 G database at about 2 hours with about 15 min. per
backup piece.  When we clone a database, we copy the backup files to the target
database server and run the duplicate command.  Reading of each backup piece
takes about 50 min. which is 3 times as long as it took to take the backup.
What can be done to improve performance of the duplicate command.

This is 10 G R 2 on windows X64 hardware.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113