Does SELECT start a transaction?

  • From: Jonathan Knight <knightjck_work@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 13:04:51 -0700 (PDT)

We've scoured the documentation and are still a little fuzzy :-) on this ...

We're trying to convert some SQL*Loads from conventional to direct and the
Oracle Documentation states that one of the requirements is that there are no
active transactions on the destination table.  Obviously SELECT ... FOR UPDATE
would begin a transaction, but what about a simple SELECT?

Many thanks,
Jon Knight

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265