Re: Documentation Standard

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 09:33:53 -0500

The companies that I worked for used various things: Lotus Domino, HTML and Wiki markup. The most popular was HTML because it's well known and can, as Norm Dunbar has noted, be version controlled. Not only that, MS-Word can read an HTML document directly and render it into a docx or PDF. My personal preference is Wiki markup, because it comes with the software that makes into a searchable web page so you get not only a method of writing documentation but also a method for presenting it and searching it. Lotus Domino has one thing that I really liked: signing off the documentation. It enabled a string of sign-offs before the document became valid change control or work order. Lotus Domino is not free or open source but it is good.

Regards

On 11/27/19 11:31 PM, Tiwari, Yogesh (Redacted sender Yogesh.Tiwari for DMARC) wrote:

Guys,

I recently came about an interesting book, “Documenting Software Architecture”. It tells you how you can standardize documentation. I m curious, how ppl/orgs maintain their internal documentation for DBAs?

There are all sorts of views on this, though…

 1. Documentation platform like, confluence.
 2. Word Docs
 3. PyDoc type documentation
 4. Documentation along with code, in markdown files etc.

What do you use, in your org, and if you can possibly explain, why please?

Thanks,

*Yogi *

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, privileged or copyrighted material or attorney work product. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. Any comments or statements made are not necessarily those of Fidelity. All e-mails may be monitored or recorded.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant