RE: Do selects block truncates?

  • From: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: ukja.dion@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:52:54 -0600

Ukja,

I just posted a possible explanation to the list - the truncate is
considered a DDL and select would block other
DDL statements to prevent the table structure from being changed during the
execution.

thank you

Gene Gurevich
Oracle MySQL Operations - OMO
224-405-4079

             "Ukja.dion"
             <ukja.dion@gmail.
             Sent by:                  "'Kurt Franke'"
             oracle-l-bounce@f         <Kurt-Franke@xxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'"
             reelists.org              <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             12/21/2007 09:34                                      Subject
             AM                        RE: Do selects block truncates?

             Please respond to
             ukja.dion@xxxxxxx
                    om

>this is never a bug but is the consequence of enforcing statement-level
read consistency
>which is always guranteed by oracle.

Can you explain in more detail?
Which relationship does read consistency mechanism have with the blocking
of truncate by select operation?
I don't know no concept of "select" blocking any kind of operation in
Oracle.
(except some internal lightweight locks like latch or buffer lock, library
cache lock/pin, blah blah blah)