Re: Disable redo writing

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:43:44 +0200

This import generate about 60-70 GB of archive logs, so I think I can call it MASSIVE.

Thanks

Yechiel

On 27/01/2011 11:09, Harel Safra wrote:

    1) How I can disable redo writing during the initial copy?
       I heard there is an hidden parameter for this.
       If you know about it and think that it is too dangerous to put
    on the list, please send it directly to me.

The parameter is called  "_disable_logging".
To quote Jonathan Lewis from a previous discossion in oracle-l titled "Disable logging in tablespace vs using hidden parameter _disable_logging":
"Just as a side note, unless things have change in
recent versions, _disable_logging still does all the
work of generating redo log.

The only change is that lgwr doesn't bother to write
the buffer when called - basically bypassing the actual
file-write call.

This means you still get redo latch activity, and checkpoints.
Given the fact that lots of systems now have a workable
buffer between the redo writer and the hardware, this
means that _disable_logging may give you no appreciable
benefit, unless you create MASSIVE redo log and avoid
commits.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis"

Harel Safra