Re: Dell-Oracle-Linux: Anyone else run this...because its not working for us!

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:09:08 -0700

I've never experience this myself, but I do know that running a two-node cluster with ethernet cross-over cables for the interconnect network can cause the entire cluster to fail when one node crashes. You must use a hub/switch for the interconnect networks (in production anyway). And of course, to avoid single-points-of-failure, you should use a separate switch for each network.

As for "single points of failure in Linux", I'm not sure what you mean. Pretty much any computer/operating system (except maybe Tandem) has single points of failure. This is what RAC is *suposed* to avoid...

By the way -- as for the Dell question -- it sounds like one could summarise the reported problems with something like: "Avoid implementing your RAID using the PERC controllers or PowerVault." Is that a fair assessment? It sounds like a diskless Dell box configured to boot from a relaible SAN device should be okay...

David wrote:

Have any of you run into the issue whereby you lost an entire RAC db(crash)
due to a an instance loss?

Single point of failure does exist for Linux...anyone know where that is in
terms of RAC?