Re: Database reports for management

  • From: raza siddiqui <raza.siddiqui@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:54:27 -0700

Extending the discussion to all reports being generated (whether daily, weekly, monthly etc)...its useful to conduct an audit, ie, generate the reports, but don't distribute / print them - and see whether anybody complains asking for their missing reports. If over multiple cycles, nobody objects, that's your signal to archive that particular report. You'd be surprised how many can be removed from the schedules and freeing up resources.

Similarly, as businesses likely evolve over time, somebody should conduct a requirements analysis to determine if current reports are still relevant. Should new elements be added, others removed ?

Raza

On 6/11/2015 9:40 AM, Ryan January wrote:

Reports just for reports sake are a waste of your resources and their time. Whenever I'm asked for something like this I push the definition of these reports straight back on the requestor. There is a difference between data, and information. You need to determine exactly what information they're lacking, and present the relevant data and explanation to go along with it.
Have you had issues or complaints regarding uptime or performance? Are they looking for a pretty "9's" availability graph? Latency of processed transactions? Insuring resource/capacity planning is being completed to their liking?

There's always a back story to a request. You need to determine what that is before moving forward.

On Jun 11, 2015, at 11:24 AM, Lyall personal <lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:lyallbarbour@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I see funny responses to this post.

You should send them whatever they request. If they requested "database reports". Then i'd work them to get that request detailed out more.

As far as tools, might come back to what they want. EM has pretty graphs you can screen shot and reports about tablespace sizes and other things. Most other tools will cost your managers money

Lyall

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.