Re: Database performance during hot backup

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:16:01 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Amir,

> I am trying to understand if it is expected to see performance
> degradation of DML transactions that are active during a hot backup. It
> is my understanding that the only noticeable thing that happens during a
> hot backup for DML statement is an increase in the amount of redo
> generation and that is because Oracle starts to log full images of data
> blocks before a change is made to a data block. I am not aware of any
> impact on performance while in hot backup mode, unless the LGWR is being
> constrained for some reason.

My kneejerk is two things:

1)  The hot backup will certainly use system resources, especially IO.  If
your instance is heavy on IO or IO-bound, then the possibly significant IO
load of the backup would likely impact Oracle transactions.

2)  You may want to consider using RMAN instead of the traditional hot backup.

Rich