Database performance during hot backup

  • From: "Hameed, Amir" <Amir.Hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:37:39 -0400

Folks,
I am trying to understand if it is expected to see performance
degradation of DML transactions that are active during a hot backup. It
is my understanding that the only noticeable thing that happens during a
hot backup for DML statement is an increase in the amount of redo
generation and that is because Oracle starts to log full images of data
blocks before a change is made to a data block. I am not aware of any
impact on performance while in hot backup mode, unless the LGWR is being
constrained for some reason.

Thanks

Amir