RE: Database Design questions

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:59:39 -0700

Steve,

I can easily beat these figures - using Oracle's own Apps 11i tables.. (btw
- some of your 'tables' may actually be views - IFDB_VEHICLE_VIEW for eg.)

TABLE_NAME                      MAX(COLUMN_ID)
----------                      --------------
OE_LINE_ACKS            414
OE_LINES_IFACE_ALL      411
OE_LINES_INTERFACE      402
AMS_LIST_ENTRIES                380
ICX_POR_UPLOAD_IT_DUMP  343
ONT_PRT_ORDER_LINES_V   338
RLM_INTERFACE_LINES_ALL 335
RLM_INTERFACE_LINES     334
AS_IMPORT_INTERFACE     324
OE_ORDER_LINES_HISTORY  324
MTL_SYSTEM_ITEMS_INTERFACE      323
OE_ORDER_LINES_ALL      312
RLM_SCHEDULE_LINES_ALL  312
OE_ORDER_LINES          310

The top one - OE_LINE_ACKS - actually contains a _large_ number of attribute
columns numbered from 1 through N where N reaches 15 in certain cases...

The advice still in this case is: Normalize where it makes sense.

>TABLE_NAME                     MAX(COLUMN_ID)
>------------------------------ --------------
>ARCHIVE_RAFILE                            170
>RAFILE                                    170
>ARCHIVE_RESFIL                            165
>RESFIL                                    165
>CUSFIL                                    102
>IFDB_VEHICLE_VIEW                          99
>VEH_INVOICE                                68

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Disappointment is inevitable, but Discouragement is optional!

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **