RE: Database Control vs. Grid Control

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jweatherman91@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <salem.ghassan@xxxxxxxxx>, "Bryan Thomas" <bthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:37:14 -0700

Speaking of relying on good ol' shell scripts - that reminds me there is
a 3rd option that I hadn't really even considered, which is not running
either one - no DBC or GC at all.  The GUI is nice to have occasionally,
but I'm pretty comfortable at the command line so I suppose I could just
set up all my 10g database with no Enterprise Manager at all.  I think
that might actually be the best option for me - then I have ZERO
overhead.  I think I might just go that route unless I come up with
something in EM that I just have to have.  If something came up down the
road where I really wanted or needed EM, I can always create it on the
fly with the emca command, or I suppose I could even go ahead and
install DBC and the EM repository for all databases, but only startup
the dbconsole processes when/if needed (I think this is what Bryan
Thomas was recommending - thanks Bryan!).

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John P Weatherman

A bigger concern for me is having GC doing the monitoring for things
like "Database Down", "Server Down", etc.  If the server does crash, and
the monitor is on the same server, no notifications can be sent out.  By
having another server, you can home-brew a monitor for GC while GC
monitors everything else.