Re: Database Control vs. Grid Control

  • From: John P Weatherman <jweatherman91@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: salem.ghassan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:38:07 -0400

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 21:55 +0200, Ghassan Salem wrote:
> On 3/30/07, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         Thank you Ghassan.  Just a couple more questions in response:
>
>         1) You recommend not to run GC on the same server with the
>         target DB - can you please elaborate on why?  Is it just do to
>         contention for resources, or is there some other reason?  I'm
>         not sure if I can justify purchasing another server for GC if
>         I already have enough available resources on the DB server to
>         run both with good performance.
>
> It is just to reduce load on the server. GC will surely consume
> resources if it is monntoring too many dbs, and used by several dbas.
> I would rather buy a small PC (a dual core will be enough, anda 100G
> HD will suffice for the repository DB).

A bigger concern for me is having GC doing the monitoring for things
like "Database Down", "Server Down", etc.  If the server does crash, and
the monitor is on the same server, no notifications can be sent out.  By
having another server, you can home-brew a monitor for GC while GC
monitors everything else.