Re: Data backup/migration strategy..

  • From: "Mladen Gogala" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mgogala@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 2015 17:59:32 -0400

On 05/08/2015 06:08 PM, Upendra nerilla wrote:

Potential solutions..
1. RMAN backups: Works better and easy. Drawback is I won't be able to restore the backup to another environment. My understanding is that the DBID must be the same for the restore to work.
Your understanding is wrong. In the last few weeks, something like 208 weeks ago, Oracle has added "duplicate database" command. Note that rman operates on data files, control files and archive logs, not on schemas.

2. Transportable tablespaces: Probably efficient, haven't worked much with it. Drawback is we'd have to transfer the files back and forth from ASM to file system (if we need to send it to another environment)..

That is why the good lord has invented DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e40758/d_ftran.htm#ARPLS095

I don't really like DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER because there is a lot of typing to do, so I usually turn on ftp on the ASM:

https://blogs.oracle.com/AlejandroVargas/entry/asm_access_through_ftp_and_htm

At any rate, copying files to and from ASM is not a problem. There is nothing to fear but the fear itself.

Even better, you wouldn't actually be copying files, you would be restoring backups, which is not a problem.

3. RMAN backup from standby: We do have a standby that we could potentially stop the log apply. Not sure if we could perform transportable tablespace operations easily on standby?

You can open standby as snapshot, it's a simple "convert to snapshot" command in DGMGRL and then everything is possible. You even get transporters, replicators and the holodeck. Counselor Deanna Troi is a separately licensed option.

4. Open to suggestions..

Thanks much in advance.

-Upendra

Not a problem. May the manuals be with you.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA