Re: Data Guard licensing

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:42:03 +0200

Hi Niall,

Did you mean Data Guard with the DG abbreviation?
If so, I do not understand the '10 days per year license terms' phrase.
That has nothing to do with Data Guard, but applies to failover
configurations, where the Oracle software is installed on a server but
not running. (using either a cluster or PMR - Poor Man's RAC - )

With a Standby configuration, whether SE and 'home-grown' standby or EE
and Data Guard, ALL servers (primary and standby) running Oracle
software need to be fully licensed. period.

The only escape is to negotiate a discount with your Oracle sales rep.

I posted about licensing of standby's at June 21, subject of the thread:
"a really non-technical question, help?" That post might help to get rid
of some myths around this topic.

BTW, Oracle hasn't updated its Software Investment Guide yet, it is
still the april 11 version.

Best regards, Carel-Jan

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 21:08, Niall Litchfield wrote:

> You can't use DataGuard in SE, you can do manual standby - the standby
> has to be licensed according to the terms you agree with Oracle Corp -
> i.e it isn't subject to the 10 days per year licence terms that are
> current for DG.
>
> I have a howto do the standby thing on my site if needed. I don't have
> a howto for the licensing thing :(
>

> On 7/18/05, Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>         we have 9i (9.2.0.6) Standard Edition and as the alert.log
>         states [:o)] Oracle Data Guard is not available in this
>         edition.
>         We plan to mount a second instance in standby and setup a
>         custom procedure to apply the redo logs.
>         As we have to use the standby syntax "alter database create
>         standby controlfile as ... " and "alter database mount standby
>         database" to mount the secondary instance, I was wondering if
>         this is correct regarding the Data Guard licensing? Is it
>         "permitted/authorized to use a SE in this way?
>

>         Cheers,
>         Dimitre Radoulov
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield