Re: Convert Stand-alone database to RAC

  • From: Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mark.powell2@xxxxxx" <mark.powell2@xxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 18:55:20 +0000

Mark is, of course, correct.  Can't run RAC without a cluster.

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, but, assuming you're not on ASM w/
current single-instance, and you want ASM configured in your cluster, I'd
recommend something like:

1.)  Build cluster, use cluvfy to make sure you didn't miss anything.
2.)  Install ASM/Grid/Clusterware home.  As this is is new installation, I'd
install at least 11.2.0.4.0+latest PSU, if not 12.0.1.0+latest PSU.
3.)  Install db version that matches current single-instance db version.
4.)  Use RMAN to backup current DB,  and restore it to ASM.
5.)  Bring up DB, as single instance, one one node of cluster, as quick sanity
check, make sure everything still works.
6.)  shutdown db.  Startup mount (I think), make changes for new RAC instances:
  a.)  add thread (alter database add thread), you'll need one for each node in
the cluster.  (For two node cluster, add one new thread)
  b.)  enable thread (alter database enable thread...).  (Again, one for each
node in the cluster)
  c.)  create additional UNDO tablespaces, one each, for each instance. (one
for sach node in the cluster)
  d.)  make changes to spfile, for instance_number (one per instance),
undo_tablespace (one per instance), thread (one per instance), and
cluster_database (must be same value across instances).
7.)  shutdown immediate/startup.  Try starting all additional instances, make
sure you didn't miss anything.
8.)  Once all instances are up, use 'srvctl' to add database and instances, and
any required services.
9.)  Reboot all your nodes, make sure everything auto starts correctly.

Easy, right? :-)

Lots of little details left out, this is just an overview of the approach.

Practice, practice, practice, before you do it for real.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

From: <Powell>, Mark Powell <mark.powell2@xxxxxx<mailto:mark.powell2@xxxxxx>>
Date: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM
To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: RE: Convert Stand-alone database to RAC

Obviously you need to move the database instance onto a clustered server if you
want to run the database as a Real Application Cluster database instance.